* Capital spending by Japanese firms elevated within the January-March quarter from a 12 months earlier, reserving the fourth quarter of good points, as enterprise spending on digital and inexperienced expertise rose notably, the federal government mentioned in a report on Wednesday.
* Denmark’s Overseas Minister Jeppe Kofod will on Thursday ask for the assist from parliament for the accession of Finland and Sweden to NATO, the international ministry mentioned in a press release on Wednesday.
* Turkey’s international minister mentioned on Tuesday that his ministry has summoned France’s Ambassador Herve Magro and Germany’s Ambassador Jurgen Schulz over the demonstrations of the outlawed Kurdistan Employees’ Social gathering (PKK) staged within the two European international locations.
* Germany should chorus from funding long-term subsidies with additional credit score to be able to return to its constitutionally enshrined debt brake subsequent 12 months, Chancellor Olaf Scholz mentioned on Wednesday.
* Egypt has set a customs alternate fee of 18.64 Egyptian kilos to the USD in June, a change from 17 in Could, the customs authority mentioned in a press release on Wednesday.
* Italy’s economic system grew barely within the first quarter (Q1) of this 12 months primarily based on remaining figures launched Tuesday, a distinction to preliminary information launched a month in the past which confirmed an financial contraction.
* Australia’s economic system grew by 0.8 p.c within the first quarter of 2022, beating economists’ expectations.
* A minimum of 106 folks have died and 10 are nonetheless lacking in Brazil, the federal government mentioned on Tuesday, as heavy rains tore via city cities within the northeastern a part of the nation for a sixth consecutive day.
* China’s Ministry of Water Assets has urged native companies throughout the nation to raise preparedness as this 12 months’s important flooding season begins.
* Afghanistan has obtained a contemporary batch of 32 million USD in humanitarian money help, the nation’s central financial institution mentioned on Wednesday.
* Mainland China reported 131 new coronavirus instances for Could 31, of which 35 had been symptomatic and 96 had been asymptomatic, the Nationwide Well being Fee mentioned on Wednesday.
* Cuba on Tuesday lifted a masks mandate in place for 2 years following a profitable vaccination drive that well being officers say has contributed to a pointy drop in instances and almost three weeks with no single demise from COVID-19.
* The Slovenian authorities on Tuesday abolished all COVID-19 restrictions and likewise dismissed a bunch of consultants which has over the previous two years been advising the federal government on measures to curb the epidemic.
* Swiss medication regulator Swissmedic mentioned it’s reviewing an utility from pharmaceutical firm Pfizer for a brand new dosage advice for a COVID-19 booster shot for kids.
* The World Well being Group (WHO) mentioned Tuesday that it aimed to comprise the monkeypox outbreak by stopping human transmission to the utmost extent potential, warning that the potential for additional transmission in Europe and elsewhere this summer season is excessive.
* Portuguese well being authority DGS reported 19 new instances of monkeypox on Wednesday, bringing to 119 the whole of confirmed infections in one of many important scorching spots of the latest outbreak.
* The Spanish Ministry of Well being on Tuesday confirmed 12 new monkeypox instances, elevating the whole caseload to 132. Spain, adopted by Britian, turns into the nation with essentially the most detected instances of the illness within the present outbreak.
* Hungarian well being authorities on Tuesday confirmed the nation’s first case of monkeypox in a 38-year-old man.