* America will host the Asia-Pacific Financial Cooperation’s (APEC) annual assembly in 2023, in response to a White Home assertion on Thursday.
* Russia signalling its will to proceed four-way diplomatic talks on japanese Ukraine can be a constructive sign, France’s overseas minister mentioned on Thursday forward of a gathering of officers from France, Ukraine, Russia and Germany in Berlin.
* Russia Overseas Minister Sergei Lavrov on Thursday mentioned it was the sovereign proper of any authorities to find out the size of army drills it chooses to carry, talking after talks in Moscow with British Overseas Secretary Liz Truss.
* Russian Overseas Minister Sergei Lavrov mentioned on Thursday Moscow was able to normalise relations with the UK, forward of talks with British Overseas Secretary Liz Truss at a time of heightened East-West tensions over Ukraine.
* Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev thanked his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin on Thursday for serving to to forestall a coup within the Central Asian nation final month, which each leaders blamed on worldwide “bandits” and “terrorists”.
* Ukraine will obtain Stinger anti-aircraft missiles from Lithuania inside days, Lithuanian Prime Minister Ingrida Simonyte mentioned on a go to to Kyiv on Thursday.
* Indonesia will order 42 Rafale fighter jets in a 8.1 billion USD deal, France’s defence ministry mentioned on Thursday, as a part of a collection of agreements additionally together with submarine improvement and ammunition, making Jakarta the most important French arms shopper within the area.
* No plans have been set for a summit of the highest leaders of Japan and the Republic of Korea, a high Japanese official mentioned on Thursday, after the the RoK president signalled his intention to enhance the neighbours’ strained ties earlier than his time period ends in Might.
* Overseas Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu mentioned on Thursday that Turkey normalising relations with Israel wouldn’t imply a change in Ankara’s Palestinian coverage, forward of an anticipated go to by Israeli President Isaac Herzog subsequent month.
* US Protection Secretary Lloyd Austin spoke on Wednesday with the protection ministers of the Republic of Korea and Japan concerning the threats posed by the Democratic Folks’s Republic of Korea after missile launches by Pyongyang, the Pentagon mentioned.
* The World Well being Group estimates that the variety of COVID-19 infections in Africa may very well be seven instances increased than official information suggests, whereas deaths from the virus may very well be two to 3 instances increased, its regional head mentioned on Thursday.
* On-line gross sales of Winter Olympics souvenirs have been up 21.2 instances through the Lunar New Yr vacation, China’s commerce ministry mentioned on Thursday, whereas gross sales of snow sports activities tools and clothes elevated 62.9% and 61.2% respectively.
* A Japanese Well being Ministry committee has authorized the oral COVID-19 drug made by US drugmaker Pfizer Inc, the ministry mentioned in an announcement on Friday.
* Russia reported 197,076 COVID-19 instances on Thursday, a report every day excessive, because the Omicron variant, which accounted for 70% of detected infections, continued to unfold throughout the nation.
* The US authorities is planning to roll out COVID-19 pictures for youngsters below the age of 5 as quickly as Feb. 21, in response to a doc from the US Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention.
* Prime European Union officers mentioned low absorption of COVID-19 vaccines in African international locations had change into the primary drawback within the world vaccine rollout following a latest enhance in provides of jabs.
* British Prime Minister Boris Johnson mentioned he supposed to finish the authorized obligation for individuals in England to self-isolate in the event that they check constructive for COVID-19 later this month.
* Mexico’s well being ministry reported 24,898 new confirmed coronavirus instances and 743 extra deaths on Wednesday.
* The Republic of Korea launched a self-treatment scheme for sufferers with gentle coronavirus signs so as to unencumber medical assets for extra severe instances, as new infections hit a recent excessive on Thursday because of the quick spreading Omicron variant.
* New Zealand police on Thursday arrested greater than 50 individuals and commenced forcefully eradicating tons of of protesters camped exterior its parliament constructing for the final three days to protest COVID-19 vaccine mandates and hard coronavirus restrictions.
* Palestinian authorities have ramped up COVID-19 testing and vaccinations within the occupied West Financial institution and Gaza Strip and warned that public indifference to their requires masking and social distancing is hampering efforts to combat the pandemic.
* A tech-fuelled world shares rally cooled in Asian commerce on Thursday as buyers took a extra cautious posture amid uncertainties across the outlook for inflation and rates of interest.
* India’s gas consumption fell in January after scaling a nine-month peak in December, authorities information confirmed on Wednesday, as COVID-19 curbs in a number of states hit mobility and industrial exercise.
* Sweden’s central financial institution saved coverage plans broadly unchanged on Thursday, stressing that surging inflation is momentary and that it stays too early to start withdrawing help from the financial system at the same time as the consequences of the COVID pandemic fade.
* France will resolve within the subsequent few weeks on how one can regulate its army presence in Mali, Overseas Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian mentioned on Thursday.
* Poland’s plans for a brand new technology of gas-fired energy vegetation would make it inconceivable for it to satisfy internet zero emissions by 2050 and price taxpayers 4.4 billion USD, analysis by thinktank Carbon Tracker confirmed on Thursday.
* Libya’s eastern-based parliament met on Thursday for a vote on a brand new interim prime minister, a transfer more likely to intensify the nation’s political struggles, with the incumbent vowing to stay in workplace.
* Egypt’s pure fuel exports are anticipated to rise to 7.5 million tonnes by the top of this fiscal 12 months, Petroleum Minister Tarek El-Molla mentioned on Thursday.
* Twelve individuals have been injured at Saudi Arabia’s Abha airport by shrapnel from a drone intercepted by air defences on Thursday, the Saudi-led coalition preventing Yeman’s Iran-aligned Houthi group mentioned.